Our volunteer Jean Paller shares her recipe for Chicken Calabrese, a classic recipe with tomato, cheese and basil, that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds!
(Chicken breast with fresh tomato cheese and basil)
1-handful fresh basil
1-pack mozzarella cheese 150g
Salt and pepper
1-tbsp olive oil
Cherry tomatoes 350g
1-oz, 30g Parmesan cheese
4-tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Season the chicken breast on each side with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan add the olive oil on medium heat caramelize the chicken breast (make it slightly brown) on each side.
- Cut all the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Once chicken is caramelized on each side add crushed garlic to frying pan followed by the tomatoes.
- Deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar and grate the Parmesan cheese over the chicken and tomatoes.
- Slice the basil and shred and add to pan.
- Put mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken breast or enough to cover the whole chicken breast.
- Bake in oven for 15 -20 mins at 200 degrees.
Jean Paller works as a domestic worker in Singapore, and volunteers with HOME in her spare time.