Christmas is the time for eating great food together with family and friend. Janeth, HOME Academy’s baking teachers, shares with us a recipe for a festive carrot cake that will impress all your loved ones.
CHRISTMAS CARROT CAKE A LA JANETH
Equipment-2 8’’ round or square aluminum cake tins
Baking time-30-35 minutes
Baking temp. -175-180 °
Makes about 2kg round or square cake
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs-lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins-presoaked, about 5 minutes
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple
- 1 ½ cups grated or pureed carrots
For the frosting
- 200 grams cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter (unsalted, softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (preferably clear extract)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice –optional
- 200-300 grams icing sugar, sift
Note; double frosting recipe for extra decorating if like
- Preheat oven, grease the baking tins and line them with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon powder, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the walnuts, raisins, coconut, crushed pineapple and pureed or grated carrots.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, combine well after each addition, using wooden spoon.
- Divide equally into the prepared tins.
- Bake in the preheated ovens for about 30-35 minutes or till toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave in the tins for about 10 minutes before turning them into a wire rack to completely cool before frosting.
- Place 1 cake on a board, flat side up, spread some of the frosting then top with the other cake. Spread the rest of the frosting. Decorate
Direction for the frosting;
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter till smooth and no lumps, add vanilla and lemon juice and beat at medium speed.
- Lower speed and add in icing sugar a little at a time.
- Beat until smooth and just combined. (May use wooden spoon to mix at this point)
- Over beating will cause the frosting to be runny.
During the rest of the year this cake is great too, some ideas for decoration are below: