By Janeth A. Bullecer
8’’ round spring form tin, Greaseproof paper, Foil, Baking tray
For the Crust;
- 175-200 grams digestive biscuits
- 80-100 grams softened butter
- 1 Tablespoon caster sugar (optional)
For the Filling:
- 750 grams cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs, at room temp.
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 5 Tablespoons plain flour (only if needed, if batter is runny)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 150°C
- Line the round spring form tin with the greaseproof paper then grease with oil or shortening.
- To make the crust; In a food processor, place digestive biscuits and process till very fine, add softened butter and sugar, process till you get a soft dough.
- Spread the biscuit dough evenly into the bottom of the baking tin, then refrigerate while preparing the fillings.
- To make the filling: beat the cream cheese into a large bowl, with a handheld mixer or stand mixer until smooth
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, incorporate well
- Add the vanilla extract, milk, sour cream and lemon juice, and beat well until smooth and well combined.
- If batter is runny add the flour, 1 Tablespoon at a time until it becomes thicker but still pourable.
- Pour batter into the prepared chilled crust, spread evenly.
- Wrap the sides and bottom of the tin with foil making sure it is high enough to avoid getting the water in.
- In a deep baking tray, place the tin with the batter then pour water into the tray, fill up to half of the tin.
- Bake into the preheated oven for about 1 hour or so.
- Cheesecake is baked when the sides are firm and center is just wobbly
- When it’s baked, leave the cake in the oven for at least 45 minutes with the door ajar.
- Take it out then cool completely then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.